Saturday, June 28, 2008

The white car with black bumpers

Once upon a time I used to drive this car. Everyday. From home to work and back. A good 26 kilometers a day. I never thought of it as something special, but I did feel special in it, driving it. Its not there anymore. Its gone. And I miss it.

I once saw this episode of "Wonder Years". It was about the car of the family which had become old and the kids wanted to get a new one. The dad was too attached to it and did not want to let it go. The kids couldn't understand what dad felt. When the car finally went away, they did feel that they were loosing something special. That was the message in that episode.

This car I am talking about was a white Maruti 800. I started driving it since it was brand new and drove it for a good full year and a few months after that. It wasn't mine. It belonged to one of my closest friends who sold it when she went abroad for work. Even though it is probably the cheapest car available in this country, the one with the least power, it made me feel like a king on the road. Some say that I drove rash and many say that I drove smart. But I feel that I just responded to what it made me feel when I was in it.

By the way, I was rarely alone in this car. I always had this beautiful person sitting beside me. And somehow I didn't feel the same whenever I was alone in it, but still felt special. And so I can only imagine how much I miss this friend when I miss her car so much.

My point is that we don't need anything special or spectacular to feel special. To feel like a king or queen. She didn't have to do anything or say anything to make me feel what I felt. She just had to be herself. With her by my side, I felt stronger, fearless. I can say that she brought out the best in me and never realised it.

Today, when she is not there around me, I don't feel the same strength in me.

I feel very fortunate to have the friends I have. Everyone is part of my life in some way or the other. Each one of them is important to me. However, I find it difficult to believe that I have some importance in their life as well. And this friend I spoke about also feels the same. She finds it difficult to believe if she can be important in anyones life.

I think each of us play a different role in each of our friends lives. Hence, we see different friends expressing different emotions towards us. And time and again we make the mistake of comparing how different friends behave with us, talk to us, share with us, express to us. And then we make the next mistake of letting ourselves get biased, by what they give us, in our feelings towards them. It doesn't remain natural anymore that way. And this is the same thing what the other person also does. Hence you see that it becomes a cycle. What we feel for our friends or for different people shouldn't be based on anything. It should just be natural. It should be from the heart. It could be friends, colleagues, parents, relatives or any person on the road.

I don't mean to say that all of us make this mistake. I know I have made this mistake at some point of time in my life and I believe that some of us do the same. And I feel that only those who don't make this mistake can become great friends. Friends true to each others heart and also to their own. This friend I spoke about is one of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home