Believe in yourself
Many of those who know me feel that I am intelligent, smart, athletic, etc. Basically, they feel that I am good in many things. But when I look at myself and try to analyse what is different in me, I get one answer - my belief in myself.
It is my belief in myself which has made me stretch that extra mile all my life. I don't think I was born with any talent. I don't know why or how I started believing in myself. Maybe, its just the competitive spirit that was injected into me by my parents. They used to compare me with my cousins and my classmates. I was never the best at anything. I was always second or third or somewhere among the good ones. Despite the pressure to be the best, I never tried to be there. I was always content being among the good ones. It never disheartened me to be second best or lower than that. Its strange why I never tried to be the best, why I never got disheartened by being compared. How did I get that maturity at that early age? I don't know.
I don't ever find anything impossible. I always believe that "if i think i can, i can". No second thoughts. Speed is something I lack. My brain does not function very fast. But still it makes me happy that I can do it even if it takes more time.
I am short. Not the kind of person who would be in basket ball team. Not the kind of person who would be the captain and the best player in a basket ball team. But I was, in school. I played with some of the best teams in Calcutta and I was good. Not the best in the city but probably the best in my school. When I moved to college, even though I believed in myself, I could not be the same. It wasn't that others were much better or the opponents were too good. But my team did not believe in me. And I kept believing in myself for four years. I hardly ever got to be in a game. Initially it was occupied by the seniors and later I was lost somewhere on the bench.
I learned something in those four years. For me, it is not enough that I believe in myself. But it is also very important that my team, peers, family, etc also have the same confidence in me. Otherwise my mechanism does not function so well. I don't know if it holds true for everyone but maybe it does.
I would like to tell all those who read this that never stop believing in yourself. Because if that spirit is broken once, it becomes very difficult to do anything well. One may train, practice, etc for as long as one wants but still that extra mile can only be achieved by ones belief in oneself.
If I had lost that confidence in myself at any point in my life then today I would not be who I am. Those who climbed the mount everest believed that they could do it. Those who went to the moon believed that they could do it. If this fundamental quality is lost then there is no point trying to do anything.
Let us all believe in anything we try to do. I am sure we will all do it to the best of our abilities and will be happy with the results because we will know that that was the best we could do. We will be content and accept it. However, if we are unable to deliver our best we will always feel that guilt. The guilt of knowing that we could have done better but we did not when we had the chance. It is very difficult to come to terms with this guilt and becomes a major factor in bringing down our confidence.
Lets hold our heads high with confidence and say it out loud "WE THINK WE CAN AND WE WILL DO IT".
It is my belief in myself which has made me stretch that extra mile all my life. I don't think I was born with any talent. I don't know why or how I started believing in myself. Maybe, its just the competitive spirit that was injected into me by my parents. They used to compare me with my cousins and my classmates. I was never the best at anything. I was always second or third or somewhere among the good ones. Despite the pressure to be the best, I never tried to be there. I was always content being among the good ones. It never disheartened me to be second best or lower than that. Its strange why I never tried to be the best, why I never got disheartened by being compared. How did I get that maturity at that early age? I don't know.
I don't ever find anything impossible. I always believe that "if i think i can, i can". No second thoughts. Speed is something I lack. My brain does not function very fast. But still it makes me happy that I can do it even if it takes more time.
I am short. Not the kind of person who would be in basket ball team. Not the kind of person who would be the captain and the best player in a basket ball team. But I was, in school. I played with some of the best teams in Calcutta and I was good. Not the best in the city but probably the best in my school. When I moved to college, even though I believed in myself, I could not be the same. It wasn't that others were much better or the opponents were too good. But my team did not believe in me. And I kept believing in myself for four years. I hardly ever got to be in a game. Initially it was occupied by the seniors and later I was lost somewhere on the bench.
I learned something in those four years. For me, it is not enough that I believe in myself. But it is also very important that my team, peers, family, etc also have the same confidence in me. Otherwise my mechanism does not function so well. I don't know if it holds true for everyone but maybe it does.
I would like to tell all those who read this that never stop believing in yourself. Because if that spirit is broken once, it becomes very difficult to do anything well. One may train, practice, etc for as long as one wants but still that extra mile can only be achieved by ones belief in oneself.
If I had lost that confidence in myself at any point in my life then today I would not be who I am. Those who climbed the mount everest believed that they could do it. Those who went to the moon believed that they could do it. If this fundamental quality is lost then there is no point trying to do anything.
Let us all believe in anything we try to do. I am sure we will all do it to the best of our abilities and will be happy with the results because we will know that that was the best we could do. We will be content and accept it. However, if we are unable to deliver our best we will always feel that guilt. The guilt of knowing that we could have done better but we did not when we had the chance. It is very difficult to come to terms with this guilt and becomes a major factor in bringing down our confidence.
Lets hold our heads high with confidence and say it out loud "WE THINK WE CAN AND WE WILL DO IT".

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home